Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013
    Just a sunday remark about the vitality of WTM:

Today, 10 players in the top 20 are not WTM supporters, and 7 of them did not even upload a picture as an avatar.

It was different in the past.
    Look at the uploader's HoF: 100% of avatars, and all the still active players are supporters.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2013 edited
    More please? How can you compare a top where one is from the last 30 days and the other from the beginning?

Top Solver before the war against Google Images (March 2nd, 2012):

10 players never were supporters too (11 if I include beatnic at that time): l3raini, maria555, petaspur, absama, spike, soleilnova, moolz, dabomb619, cyberfoyer , itzitini. Nothing changed for me.

Plus, we had to delete a lot of avatars recently because they had bad dimensions since the crash in november.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    But I have to admit it sucks to have players who just... play the quiz and don't contribute by uploading shots or whatever. But we have to accept this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    The war made a lot of victims :)

You are right, I do not compare comparable things.

If you want history, here you have my first saved screenshot of HoF (march 31, 2009):

and a few weeks later (may 29, 2009), with a new version of the site:

• CommentAuthorkinoute
    Thanks for the screenshots, the first one is.. wow. See, nothing changed, we are even back with "realistic" % of solves!
  1.  permalink
    there are names i never seen before :) ok i am not an old player, beginned just some years later...

To "10 players in the top 20 are not WTM supporters":

in the end, HoF Uploaders all people are supporter or at least was been supporter for a long time in the past. Uploading 3 shots in NS seems to be a good reason to support WTM... But for people, who just solves shots, its not handsome or urgent to be a supporter. Maybe some solver can be grabbed as supporter with some features! More supporter = more money. More money maybe for newer hardware or at least some money for kinoute/tliff, who spend a lot of time to let the side run. Without them we already got for a long time a blank white page here^^ Maybe the staff think about it :)
  2.  permalink
    Yes, before google image, 90% solves, uploads from bluray websites, cheating, suspicious voting behaviors : i used to own this pretty amazing game :D

I miss the good ol' times ! Look at the forum, there are 30 pages and only one active in 2013, while if you look back there were 15 pages of last active topics in 2009 !
    This used to be a great community looking for fun and movie knowledge, but the good ol' players have been replaced by ranking horny cheaters :(
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013
    Kinoute wrote: 'But I have to admit it sucks to have players who just... play the quiz and don't contribute by uploading shots or whatever.'

I stopped uploading some time ago, and I'll tell you why. For the sake of argument, I'll take the freedom to exaggerate a bit. I hope that can be forgiven. ;-)

For a long time, I hoped that at some point the voting system would be changed. Shots that make it to FF on their own are shots that are solved a lot. Shots that are solved a lot are shots from American blockbusters, which means: animation, fantasy, superheroes, vampires, action, romantic comedies... My interest is in contemporary non-American drama. No matter how good a shot is, there is no chance a still from such a film will make it to FF as a result of the voting system. It means you always depend on the moderators to push them through. That may sound like a good safety net for the site and the system has been explained and defended a lot, but in the end I had the impression I was only playing for the two moderators and I got tired of that.

(By the way, my urge to try to solve shots has also disappeared. An enormous percentage of the shots that make it to FF are from films I really don't want to watch. That's my problem, of course, but I can't understand how many of the film fanatics that come here can watch The Turin Horse one day and Thor the next. It's just so schizophrenic!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013
    A thread about the good old times and nobody mentions The Great Palahniuk? There really is something wrong with WTM.

Since this has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the topic: kinoute, can you make that we receive an email a few days before a contest so that even semiactive members can take part and upload shots? Pleeeeeease? You are the best. You already know that, but it doesn't hurt to remind you. Kinoute is the best.

Mmmmmmhhhh, the good 'ol times!

Regards,
    an inactive supporter with avatar
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2013
    @Antituur
    You're right. Perfectly right. I still play because I am too addict to quit, but I feel the same.

But I feel schizophrenic too. I can watch in the same week "Persona", "Jalsaghar", "Singe Sabour", "L'homme de Rio", "Le temps de l'aventure", "Les aventures de Rabbi Jacob" and "Iron man" :)

And apprieciated all of them, according to their different ambitions. Except one that annoyed me a lot. Guess which one it was :)