Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorgregov
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2010
    @SunsetWalker

"Hiya! Got a silly question for you guys :3 how are captchas generated? I always noticed some weird and funny combinations, but this week it was striking. Got a "whisky $3.0" so hmm, started laughing loud and now it's been bugging me. And heck, that's cheap whisky! Does scruffy do that? Is there a database of combinations of words? Mebbe magic? ;3"

I had this one today ;)

• CommentAuthoraril
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010
    Question: I want to write a review on Toy Story 3, but can't find it here on WTM (only Toy Story and Toy Story 2). Can I add it? Or is that a right I don't have as a Clapper Loader?
  1.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthoraril
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010
    Thanks @theoffice911 !
  2.  permalink
    #
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010
    that is a good idea
    •  
      CommentAuthorfreddelgado
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010 edited
    Nice idea, @theoffice911 !
  3.  permalink
    I agree with sati and freddelgado. I thought of it earlier, forgot to mention it. Great idea. ; )
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010
    As I mentioned in another thread, I think a voting option (for the movie) in the snapshot page would boost the movie-votes significantly.
    I'm assuming there are many people who are as lazy as I am :)
    • CommentAuthorBogwoppit
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010
    Is there any reason why short films are not allowed. Surely if they're on IMDB they are valid films?
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010 edited
    @Bogwoppit
    Short movies are not allowed. I believe it is also mentioned in the upload rules ;)
    The number of shorts been released each year and been presented in festivals (and making as a IMDB entry) is most likelly even higher than normal lenght movies. I could post tones of shots from shorts which will remain unsolved for ever and only upload these ;) Plus there are so many shorts of 5 or 10 mns long, these have nothing to do on WTM imo. There are of course famous shorts, but the rule is the same for all shorts ;)
    Not everything on IMDB is accepted: shorts aren't accepted but also series aren't accepted either, and all movies with a (V) also not ;)
    • CommentAuthorBogwoppit
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010
    Okay, fair enough.... I just wondered why they weren't allowed. Thanks for your answer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2010
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    well they should have been deleted yes and never accepted ;)
    we cannot see the answers of the movie on the shots so if we dont recognise them, and noone ask for deletion then yes this is a problem
    But this is the rule now
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    Duel was discussed several times here. See http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=531 or http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=562. Since it had a wide theatrical release worldwide (I watched it in cinema, too), I don't think the shots should be deleted only because it was initially made for TV.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Duel is indeed an acception, because of that exact reason.
  4.  permalink
    #
  5.  permalink
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2010
    these are direct to dvd I believe so no, not allowed
  6.  permalink
    #
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010
    Scruffy doesn't want any competition from fake fanboy scruffy's.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    What's the minimum length of a movie to be not considered a short?
    Because I've watched some old movies lately and especially rather unknown comedies and horror movies from the twenties and thirties tend to be quiet short for nowadays standards. Of course i'm not talking about movies that are 20 minutes long or so, cause they would clearly be short films. But if you have a film with e.g. 50 oder 55 minutes running time you start to wonder if they are allowed on wtm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010 edited
    @doooom: I'd consider a movie less than 40 minutes a short (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_film ). So I see no problem with movies lasting 50 minutes (only problem: I won't be able to solve the shots ;)

As many decision here are based on IMDB it might be a good idea to check if the movie has "Short" as a genre. (like http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084868/ )
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2010
    Thanks fnick. What you say sounds quite resonable to me.
    I did never notice they do have "Short" as a genre tag on IMDB (probably because i rarely watch any shorts).
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010
    When trying to upload a still from a certain movie, the international title of the film is not recognized. The original title, however - in a language not many people know and with a weird use of capitals and spaces - is found. Does this mean that the person who created the title did not enter alternative titles?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010 edited
    Probably he did not add (all) alternative titles.

You can always go to the movie page, then click the info-tab on top. Here you can see and add the alternative titles yourself.
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    Thanks Zythux.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    You're welcome.
  7.  permalink
    when i click NEXT in the feature films, some times I'm getting "You are not allowed to view the screenshot" error msg in red color at the top and i'm bein redirected to a latest snapshot with almost 900+ solves.. why is that so?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010
    Because the shot that the next button is trying to access, has been deleted or moved.
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010 edited
    Are title shots taken in account in the "5 shots per movie" rule? I uploaded 4 shots from a same movie + the start title shot and I can't add a new one...
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2010
    I don't think they are and I don't think they should.
    This limit should be for shots going through NS, IMHO.
    But tliff and naut will confirm that.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    @Shayah
    I've uploaded 4 shots + start title + end title from a particular movie and was still able to post a 5th shot. So I would say the title shots do not count for the 5 shots rule.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    Did you upload a contest shot from that movie? I think contest shots count when uploading a new submission.
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    Hum... I made a little mistake, the problem is a bit different than what I told you, sorry... So, when trying to upload my 5th shot, I get this message:
    "Sorry, You already uploaded two Snapshots of this movie. Become a WTM Supporter and upload up to 5 Snapshots from the same movie."

I should still be a supporter for the next 45 days, so I guess this is a bug or something...

BTW, this is not a big deal, I just wanted to notice about the problem.

Thanks for your quick answers, anyway :)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Yeah but I think that's also the message you get when you're a supporter and you already uploaded 5 shots.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
    indeed you will get the same message
    • CommentAuthorHeadlock
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011 edited
    I searched the forum, but I couldn't find anything similar (or I lack the capability of searching) about this. (Found 1 thing, but it didn't have a decent answer)
    When I browse through the snapshots, I get a lot of "Sorry, you are not allowed to view this snapshot."

Can someone explain me why I'm not allowed to see these? I have the "nudity" and "gore" tag enabled.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011
    This is a bug, Headlock. Whenever a shot is deleted in FF the next/prev links still point to that shot. Since it is deleted you can't see it and the page redirects you to some random shot (which is the most annoying part in my opinion). Because there is nobody on the wtm-team at the moment who can fix bugs on the site it won't change for a while :(

But the good news: you are not missing any nudity or gore!
    • CommentAuthorHeadlock
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011
    Thank goodness for that!
    But thank you for your explanation :)
    • CommentAuthorRubens83
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2011
    I've got a question I couldn't find the answer to. Suppose you've got a shot which is black all centered around a small image in the centre. Now it's impossible to distinguish between black picture and black bars?

Thanks in advance.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    What I do in such cases: I just take another shot from the same disc, where the black bars can be easily distinguished. And then I use the grid/ruler/gauge/whatever of my graphic editor to figure out where the black bars actually are on the "dark" shot.
    • CommentAuthorRubens83
    That's what I've been doing. Was hoping for an easier way but this is alright. At least I know now.
    Thanks for the quick answer!
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011 edited
    I have a question about the snapshot of the day :

How is it possible that 8.23 + 2 favs
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/140154
    get a better ranking than 8.24 + 6 favs ?
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/140151

Same thing yesterday :
    7.52 + 5 favs http://whatthemovie.com/shot/139950
    vs 8.13 + 5 favs http://whatthemovie.com/shot/139964

Did scruffy put a spell on me ?

Not a big deal however. It is a game and I like shots ranked less than 6/10 :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011
    I think the "SotD-score" gets calculated at the moment when the shot leaves NS and enters FF, so that might explain. If the shot got different ratings after it got into FF, or some more favorites, it might look weird.
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011 edited
    I think this is also because every fav on your shot is "transormed" in 3 people voting 10, or something like that. So, the less voters you have on your shot, the most important the favs are. I'm not totally sure about that, but It could explain why your 2 shots wre not SotD: Thay both had much more votes than the others.
    + Scruffy probably put a spell on you, of course
    • CommentAuthorSzpulsky
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2011
    Question: if the awesome upload takes the slot for the movie or not?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    @Szpulsky: Yes it does. As soon as an awesome upload is posted, you cannot post from this movie for seven days.
    • CommentAuthorSzpulsky
    damn it
    ;)

Thanx for the answer
  8.  permalink
    Who do I have to bribe to get accepted snaps in FF ?