Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRacetrack
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010
    Not that I complain, but I want to complain: why was this shot (http://whatthemovie.com/shot/58124) with a rating of 7.52 pushed to FF, whereas my shot (http://whatthemovie.com/shot/58112) rated 7.68 was rejected? Somebody has an explanation? Anyone?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=528#Item_1
    I guess a mod liked the 7.52 shot, but didn't like your shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    Also that uploader is an awesome person . . .

;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRacetrack
    Well, still not satisfying, considering this statement "In summary, forget about scores and just concentrate on making great looking, interesting images, and your image will have a good chance of making it, either through public vote or selection by a moderator."

But hell, I sure don't want to start a new discussion about the artistic qualities of shots. So I guess that Freddy and Jason beating the crap out of each other is more interesting then Carice holding Zwarboek in her hand ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRacetrack
    @siren34: I fully agree- 10/10 for your comment ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    LOL . . . it's kind of a crap shoot . . I have a ton of shots with only a few solves but that I am really proud of that don't make it . . . the mods really do a good job though of keeping things interesting and helping more obscure and artistic shots (unlike my obvious tribute to a few of my gore heroes) make it through . . .

Solving in the FF has been a lot of fun recently with some great obvious shots and some shots that will be driving me crazy until the solve time is over . . .
    •  
      CommentAuthorRacetrack
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010
    Yeah, I know exactly what you're talking about... well, I still can repost my shot and give it an other try, now can I? ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010 edited
    I don't think its cool to pick on people's shots and say things like "my shots better than this", which is essentially what you are saying.

Just saying :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorRacetrack
    @them00ch: I disagree. I didn't break it down to a personal level, but you did. I accepted the terms and so the issue is not an issue anymore. Agree?

Just saying ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2010 edited
    I just think if you had asked "why didn't my shot make it?" it would have been fine, but to single out another image which you feel is inferior is just not necessary, thats all.

I'm sure most people feel a certain pride in the shots they take, effort goes into selecting a good shot, so to have their shot posted in the forum saying "this shot is worse than mine", is a little personal, whether you admit it or not. Mike is an affable cool guy so he obviously hasn't taken offence to it but I can see how others might.
    • CommentAuthorquipster
    Hey, I just had one with a rating of 7.92, four favorites, and three comments not make it. You would have thought that would make it through, but sometimes shots you think should make it on to the FF board don't and there's no point trying to make sense of why. Just try to post it later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Like most of you I find sometimes the mod's choices very strange, not only because most of my shots are rejected :)
    As a recent example, I could cite #58241 and #58327 (none of them is mine). I think personally that both shots are very poor, but the juxtaposition is interesting and makes sense. I wonder why the first one has been accepted and not the second one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Well the second one is still in New Submissions for a start...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    LOL, I put #58327 in as I was surprised the first one was not what I thought....
    • CommentAuthorquipster
    Hey! Someone resurrected the 7.92 shot from my rejected graveyard. It's now on the FF board. That's awesome! Thanks Scruffy or whoever had a hand in that. I appreciate the rectification.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    This is basically yet another "my shot didnt make it" whine thread, with a side-order of mod-bashing.

At the end of the day 300 images are in NS, only 80 make it a day. Some shots are going to fail. It isn't the moderator's fault. If anyone did this job they couldn't please everyone, someone is always going to be disappointed. What may seem like a strange choice for you usually has a thought process behind the selection, I take into account so many factors when choosing to save a shot, like

1) community response, shouts favourites etc. (a shot which I hate but which has loads of shouts and favourites is going through)
    2) difficulty level (I try to keep a balance of hard and easy shots, and all shades of grey inbetween)
    3) how interesting/aesthetically pleasing the shot is (I'm being honest here - if its a straightforward head shot of an actor, it isnt getting saved by me, perhaps other moderators but not me)
    4) Its relevance to the film (obviously only a factor if I can solve it but still a factor none the less)
    5) My own personal preference (lowest priority obviously, but I'm human, I cant help it the same as any other person could)

And I am sure there are many other factors I cant think of right now. The other mods may have completely different criteria, I cant speak for them.

Remember, mods arent here to choose which images fail, they are here to try to save some images which are going to fail anyway, which is a bonus.

If an image fails, it doesn't necessarily mean its bad, it just means you were unlucky or there were "better" images at the time, thats all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    bravo, hear hear
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    love the Mods
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2010
    darn, hoped that if #58241 made it, mine #58327 would also go to FF. Alas.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Too bad pspan. Yours was far more awesome :)
    (I solved none of them, so I cannot talk about the relevance of the shots).
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    LOL, I get the sarcasm efji. For what its worth, mine was from Traffic.
    • CommentAuthorSebassie1
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010
    But still... shot #58699 was rated 7.80 at 0 hour, and the rules state that scruffy every 56 min. pushes the highest ranked shot through...??
    Still mine got rejected.. is this then the work of the moderators??
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    no, moderators dont choose which shots fail. the community does by way of votes. the mods just save some.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    Sebassie1, Scruffy pushes the highest rated shot with less than 24 hours to go. probably there was a shot with a higher rating in those 24 hours.
    • CommentAuthorSebassie1
    Ok... i thought it was determined in the last hour... and all the shots in the last hour, the highest gets pushed true!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010
    Yeah, that's what I thought. Many people think it works that way :)