Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorlnatbnf
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2010 edited
    I'm wondering : a year ago, in WTM 1, there were somewhere some recommandations about snapshots : "blockbusters : difficult shots or details ; old and unknown movies : actors or explicit situations...". And a certain kind of typology was made : shots with clue, purely esthetic shots, maybe with examples.
    I cannot find them anymore....
    Isn't it possible to make a well documented FAQ to explain to new players what is really a good shot ?
    http://siboul.free.fr/wtm/tutoWTMstep1.htm is perfect for the technical aspect (and should be included in the FAQ, by the way), but we miss the same tutorial with examples for the content aspect. Don't you think so ?
    We are all complaining about the low quality of the shots in the NS, but we don't help new players to improve themselves BEFORE uploading....
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2010
    I think it would be a good idea, indeed, to put back some guidelines in the FAQ for beginners.

A while ago, Papo made a great post about shots' awesomeness: http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=334
    Maybe we should go for something like that, just update it a little and put only "technically OK" shots (high quality, no black bars, no distortion/cropping...) as examples.
    • CommentAuthorlnatbnf
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2010
    Yes, the Papo's post is quite perfect and can help a lot.

Some ideas were posted in the "scaling thread" about new users, I think that they need to pass more time on looking at the game and solving shots before to be autorised to upload. It's the best way to learn, isn't it ?
  1.  permalink
    I agree with Inatbnf. This way they are going to appreciate it all more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010
    And in the same street, I often see shots deleted because it was definitely not from DVD (weird aspect ratio, promotion-posters, shots from trailers, and even shots with a television logo, letters at the bottom or names of the actors shown). This irritates me a lot because it's against the rules and therefore NOT allowed. Maybe those uploaders can also be directed to a FAQ/tutorial. And if this behaviour keeps happening these users should recieve a warning from a mod or scruffy that their uploads are not legal or something.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    @Energ,
    The warning is already happening. If we see 2 or 3 shots from the same user been deleted for this reason, we always warn the uploader. And if it continues even after the warning, they get banned from uploading
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    Okay thanks, I did not know that one. Great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    I agree that it would be useful to have some guideline for taking good shots. But I got some problems with just taking Papo's explanation. As he said in his post it is his personal view of awesome shots. Everybody has a different taste. Of all the shots Papo linked I would just agree on the stawberry one to be awesome. The others may be nice, but not awesome (to me!). I even think some of them wouldn't make it to FF nowadays. If I had to name some awesome shots I would link winterwolf's, finix's or destroyer's upload section. Other users would link satis. So if there is a collection of awesome shots in the faq they should be a little bit less subjective. E.g. you could only choose shots with at least 10 favs (excluding those where the favs are obvious about the movie and not about the shot :). And the examples should be more widely. Some of Papo's examples are not far from beeing character shots (maybe he posted them before there were characters on movie pages). Saying those are awesome shots would lead to newbies uploading more Headshots. But the good thing about wtm is that there are all sorts of shots. There should be old/new movies, interesting characters, closeups, landscapes, explosions, hugs etc. to not make the newbies think some sort of shot was not good because no such example is given. Yes, this is not easy and maybe impossible.

So in my opinion a list of don'ts would be even better than giving examples of awesome shots. Papo already mentioned some:
    * text which is easy to google
    * bad quality

I may add:
    * blurryness
    * famous actors/actresses/characters without much more to see on the shot
    * boring shots from famous movies that do not even look nice

Surely there are some more things that should be mentioned.

Plus it would be fun to take some example shots for the don'ts :)
    • CommentAuthorlnatbnf
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010 edited
    In this guideline, we could use illustrated examples , like this one (sorry, that's all I have in my computer) :

Not so interesting :

Much more — and repeat after me "in mods we trust" ! :
  2.  permalink
    @fnick : agree with you, the last edit of my post was in June 2009 ! So a lot of new features should be added to the guide.

I also think we need a guide about quality for the game, just as MisterZob's ratio guide. I'll try to update the text my previous version and you'll tell me if it's OK.
  3.  permalink
    I don't believe that we can set a guide for quality, after all why...the rule is only DVD or Blu-ray is allowed. The one who is posting doesn't have to be worried about the quality if he's posting from DVD or Blu-ray, otherwise he's not supposed to upload at all.
    And awesomeness of the shot is purely a subjective thing, also hard to define.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2010
    Guidelines and rules are two different things. ;)